Wulfie's Wurld

An island of questions in a sea of confusion.

Tuesday, February 21, 2006

 
Editorial: A Christian US?

I heard something on the radio a few days back that I'd like to discuss. A couple of moderate conservatives were discussing the subject that I found strange for several reasons. First, as a moderate conservative myself, I find it rare to find moderates of any flavor on the radio. Second, the station that broadcast this also broadcasts Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Laura Ingraham, Brian Sussman and other radical non-moderates. Third, they broached a subject I happened to have been griping about for years and thought I was alone. I call it the polarization of America. I've also heard it called the "bi-polarization of America." They shed an interesting light on the subject.

The US of A is ostensibly a Christian nation. If we consider the fact that 85% of our country is Christian, and that at 224 million, these Christians number almost twice as many as the next country down on the list, we can see that both domestically and internationally, the Christian aspect is very important. I am not a Christian, but that's okay. I have the same rights as they have, and indeed, some of my best Christians are friends.

One of my Christian friends recently wrote to me how Paul placed Christian "Love" or "agape" above both faith and hope, and that faith and hope were subordinate to Love. Whether you agree with that assessment of Paul or not, I think it would be safe to say that Love is pretty important to Christians. "He that loveth not, knoweth not God, for God is love." 1 John 4:8 (I may not be a Christian, but I still know how to read.) In fact the nominal founder of Christianity had this to say: "Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you . . . " Matt 5:44

As they suggested on the radio program, Christian love is about loving the unlovable. Personally, I find that a bit much, but then, I'm not a Christian. I don't have to love the unlovable. Christians, apparently, do.

I follow a few political blogs and forums, and often listen to radio programs from both sides of the spectrum. For example, for every minute I spend with Sean Hannity, I spend a minute with Randi Rhodes, and vice versa. For every minute with Rush, I spend a minute with Al Franken. To do anything less is unconscionable. The trends I've heard from sides have led to my gripe mentioned above.

When one side speaks about the other, they do not consider that the other is someone who is well-educated, has a job and a family, obeys the law, has the same likes and dislikes as everyone else, and has examined the issues thoroughly. These are people I work with and are neighbors. These people are lovable.

But you don't hear that from the rhetoric of the radio shows and the political forums.

Instead you hear that the other side are evil, or anti-Christian (excuse me, but the last election was like 51% to 49%, not 85% to 15%), or . . . fill in your own invective. The one side is dehumanizing the other side. This is not political discourse as envisioned by our Founding Fathers. This is hate rhetoric. It's purpose is to win over "converts" by encourage hatred of the other side.

This is hatred of the lovables.

When I hear this type of ranting from one side or the other, what am I, a non-Christian, to think of their so-called religion? Do I really believe that they can love the unlovable, if they can't even love those who, for all intents and purposes, are like themselves? I find myself wondering which it is that is failing--the "Noble Experiment" we call Democracy, or Christianity?

Comments:
This is really good work.

I love your insights, Rich. You're far more reasonable than I'll ever be!
 
I agree with everything Brian said
 
Thanks for the kind words, guys.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?