Wulfie's Wurld

An island of questions in a sea of confusion.

Wednesday, March 01, 2006

 
Editorial: Suicide

A week or so ago I was reading about the life of Vincent van Gogh and about his suicide attempts. He initially tried to eat his paints. They were poisonous back then. They're only toxic nowadays. That didn't work very well so he went out into a field and shot himself in the heart. Only he bungled that, too. So he walked back to the inn where he was staying and laid down on the bed without telling anyone. They found him lying in a pool of blood, called the doctor who tried to save him, and van Gogh suffered a seizure which finally did him in--two days after the attempt. Or was that a successful suicide.

This caused me to start thinking about suicide. No, not that way. I'd prefer to live an extra few thousand years, learn all the stuff I'm curious about, visit all kinds of places, and relearn everything I've forgotten. I personally think committing suicide is stupid. I also feel that being stupid is neither a sin nor against the law.

Poor ole Vinnie didn't get a funeral because, well, the Catholic Church can be cranky about suicides from time to time. Was it really a suicide? Although I'm sure Nirvana fans would call it a murder (small joke), the question is, what was the real cause of death--the seizure, the loss of blood, or the gunshot wound? Suppose he didn't shoot himself, but the seizure killed him because of left-over toxins from the paint several years earlier? Suicide or no? Is there some kind of statute of limitations between attempts that contribute to death and the death itself? Three days? A fortnight? No expiration? Does anyone wish to volunteer a cut-off time? What about complications arising from suicide attempts? What about unintended results? Is dying from a game of Russian roulette considered a suicide? Or an accident? Is it true that every year in the US, there are 400,000 tobacco-related suicides and murders?

And why are we having this discussion?

If someone's affairs are in order, bills paid off, family set up with financial security, and funeral expenses paid in full--what's wrong with suicide? Maybe the person's family doesn't want it, but are their desires that significant? There are divorces against people's desires on a daily basis. There are other kinds of death against people's desires on a daily basis. Sure, maybe suicide really is "self-murder," and maybe it is a sin (contrary to my beliefs), but wouldn't that be an issue between the person and God? Why should we as a society get involved over someone else's personal decision, if society is not affected by it?

Comments:
For all the reasons you listed, I'm all for assisted suicide. I'm pro-choice and pro-euthanasia as well. If the person is making that decision, who am I to tell them "no"?

Here's another question:

What about "suicide by cop"? Is that still considered suicide?
 
I assume that by "suicide by cop" you mean the scenario where Bozo wants to commit suicide, but is too cowardly to do it himself, so does somthing that threatening (wave the gun at the cops) so that they end him instead?

Yeah, I'd consider that suicide. I also think it's a rotten thing to do. I don't think there are many cops who want to use deadly force, and who feel bad even when it's truly justified. Causing them to become the instrument in a suicide is just slimy in my opinion.

Or did you mean something else.

The other subjects you touched on I've got planned as future editorials. I'm trying to do one per week so I can give them all sufficient thought and analysis.
 
That's what I meant. A cowardly act, indeed.

Looking forward to your takes on everything else.

One to consider: Where are you on legalizing marijuana?
 
Good question. I'll come up with an answer in my normal curmudgeonly way, eventually.
 
Had a co-worker who was involved in a suicide by cop on the cop end. Guy pulled a .45 without a round chambered. My buddy was grilled by IA about it. The shoot didn't bother him as much as being second guessed. If you want to punch your ticket do so without involving strangers and try not to leave too much of a mess.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?