Wulfie's Wurld

An island of questions in a sea of confusion.

Thursday, August 03, 2006

 
Chain: Five Odd Things About Me

Okay, apparently there's a chain circulating around the blogging realm where, if "tagged," the person is to write five odd or weird things about themselves, then tag five more people. I thought I'd play along. Sort of.

1. I love to break chains. For that reason, I'm not going to tag five others. I particularly like to break chains that predict vile doom for anyone who breaks them. I calculate I've died horribly several dozens of times over the years. I'm looking damn fine for a corpse.

2. I like to draw people. I mean, I really like to draw people. I like drawing faces the best, particularly interesting looking faces. If they're willing to take their clothes off, I'll draw the whole figure. Some do. Most don't. Drawing people is better than drawing anything else. I'm getting pretty good at drawing as well. I guess it's like any skill. It improves if you do it a lot.

3. I enjoy driving a 140 mile round-trip commute through the worst traffic on the planet even though I have a boss who's a moron. That's because I like the work and the rest of the people so well. Life's all about trade-offs and compromises.

4. Although I'm basically an agnostic, I'm a very spiritual agnostic. No, that doesn't mean I do wicca or pyramids or any of that other non-scientific nonsense. It means I think about the concept of God a lot and study various religions and dogmas and histories. During my early morning commute, I talk a lot to God, assuming there is a God and that God is listening, either that, or I'm talking to the roof of my car. Either way, I verbalize my thoughts and questions. I love it when Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons or any of those types knock on my door. They, on the other hand, seem to become dismayed that I know more about their religion than they do, including all the counter arguments.

5. For the first 40 years of my life, I used to say "When I grow up . . . " Of late (the past 15 years) I've decided I don't want to grow up.

Actually, I don't think any of those things are particularly odd. On the other hand, the most humdrum of activities might seem odd to someone.

Comments:
great post. thanks for breaking the chain and i have a similar love of the religious sect visits and the same dismay when they are so clueless. but, dude, i cannot imagine how great a job must be to bear a commute like that.
 
I balance four criteria when either selecting a place to work or determining whether or not to stay. Those are 1) intellectually challenging/rewarding, 2) great place to work, 3) money, 4) commute. Obviously, if one item falls short, the others must make up for it.

I work at NASA, a dream I've had since the days of Project Mercury when I was young and impressionable. The work is very challenging and rewarding. I like working with a great majority of the people here. I make more than my lifestyle needs (at least, now that the daughter is out of college). The commute sucks.

So basically, three of the items outweighs the forth. The only variable in the equation is my boss. He's fairly erratic and unpredictable, but on the bright side, his bosses are beginning to notice.

Back to the subject of religion . . . some of my more interesting evenings are spent in a pub with fairly bright born-again types, really getting down into the weeds concerning dogma and theology.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

Archives

October 2005   November 2005   December 2005   January 2006   February 2006   March 2006   April 2006   May 2006   June 2006   July 2006   August 2006   September 2006   October 2006   November 2006   December 2006   February 2007  

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?